We don't know when, we don't know where, but we know we're moving!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

I hate packing



So far, I've got one box packed today.

I've spent most of the time figuring out how we're going to move our stuff, and talking my daughter down from the ledge because of the cost.

She was so panicked but then she rallied. We watched packing videos on u-tube. She sparked up when she saw someone holding a box for Home Depot. Then she went online and found out they have cheaper boxes than U-Haul. Lowes box prices were a few pennies cheaper, and that store is closer to our house, so we're going there tomorrow.

I wanted to know how many boxes would fit into a packing cube. Finally, I found an online calculator (2 actually) that helped me convert feet into inches and how many boxes will fit. 210 12x12x12 boxes will fit. I doubt very much we'll have that many boxes.

We're getting rid of most of our furniture. I'm keeping a craft cart/table, my shabby chic bookcase, the head and footboards and rails to my bed, and my decorated chest of drawers. Everything else, I'm selling on Craigslist or giving to charity.

Why a moving pod/cube/thing?

We won't have a residence to go into immediately when we get there. We want to take our time and find something ideal, so we won't have to move again. Having the cube in storage means we'll only move our stuff 2 times (In cube/Out cube) instead of 4 times (In moving truck/out of moving to storage/into moving truck/out of moving truck to dwelling). This may change though as the time to move gets closer, but right now, the cube seems like the best moving thing to fit our needs.

I'm glad we're starting to pack now, even before my husband starts his application for a transfer. When I feel overwhelmed, I can take a break and do something else...like blog about it. Then I can go back to the task of packing.

Every other move, it's always been a rush that puts me in a panic to the point of being barely able to function. Moving is overwhelming physically, but I think the mental jumping jacks one must do to deal with it is more exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment